Tuesday, December 29, 2009

How to make mochi (Isoda style)

Apparently it is a Isoda family tradition to make mochi around the end of the year. I have never been to Japan during the winter time so I didn't know about it, but I was honored to be a part of the tradition this year. My uncle was telling me that they have been doing it since he was a kid, meaning my dad participated in it as well (although my uncle says my dad was often too lazy to participate lol).

Step 1. Cut wood for fire.

Step 2. Start fire and steam mochi rice.

Step 3. Have grandma check the rice to see if it is ready for mochi making.

Step 4. Begin making mochi!


...actually we are just pretending in this picture. Hehe.

Step 5. Really start making mochi!!! My cousin is pounding the ricei with a wooden hammer thingy and my uncle is putting a little bit of water on it and rotating it in between pounds.


Step 6. Continue pounding until the rice becomes mochi.



Step 7. Gather the mochi.


Step 8. Put the mochi in bags for storage.


Step 9. Spread out the mochi in the bag to make it fit within the lines.


After that, you are done! While you are waiting for others to finish making the mochi, you can also take left over ash from the steamer and boil water:

You can also play with Jiro:

Oh yeah, meet Jiro! He is quite the friendly pup :-)

So now you know how to make mochi with the Isoda family!!!






















2 comments:

  1. This is infinitely more helpful than the "Cooking Mama" lesson on mochi...

    ReplyDelete
  2. LOL I'm sure it is. Not very many people still do it the old fashion way.

    ReplyDelete